How old do I need to be to join the trap club?

12 years old and have a MN DNR Firearms Safety Certificate. You must posses a MN DNR Firearms Safety Certificate to be on the STC. We will NOT accept the SAFE certificate on the MN Clay Target League website.

How do I register for the trap team?

Part 1 of registration...All returning members from the previous season will register first starting January 21st and close January 26th. New member registration will then open up sometime in February (TBD). New member registration is a first come basis. Once registration is full, it will close. Part 2 of registration...Once all 75 members have registered with the Shakopee Trap Club, you will have to register with the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League. Part 2 of registration is with the league. **We will send out an email each time to inform you when it is time to register.

Where do we meet each week?

Minnesota Horse and Hunt Club
2920 220th St E. Prior Lake, MN 55372

How do I obtain a MN DNR firearms safety certificate?

Check out the following for more information...
1. MN DNR: Firearms Safety Certification for Youth

Do I need my own 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

Yes!!! Shooters must know and understand all of the operating and safety features of the firearm they are using. No one is allowed to handle anyone's firearm but your own.You may not borrow a friend's firearm to shoot.

What do I bring to trap each week?

Proper hearing and eye protection; ammo pouch / bag; proper clothing attire, and firearm in case; marked in a way that you can recognize it.

How much does it cost to join the trap club?

The registration fee for this year is $275/student. Included, will be a new jersey (To be ordered at the time you register), Horse and Hunt fees (range and clays) and ammo. Our registration fee is $50 less than previous years because we are only shooting 8 weeks this year, instead of 9, and the $35 MN Clay Target League fee must be paid by each participant, instead of the team paying it. Your $35 league fee will be paid at the beginning of March - This will be Registration Part 2. We will send an email to inform you when that is open.

How many weeks is the trap season?

8 Weeks including fun week March 23rd. Practice Week 1
March 30th Practice Week 2
April 6th Spring Break (Not Shooting)
April 13th Competition Week 1
April 20th Competition Week 2
April 27th Competition Week 3
May 4th Competition Week 4
May 11th Competition Week 5
May 18th Fun Week - Not mandatory

Is there a state tournament for trap?

Yes! Before the state tournament, there is the Trap Shooting Championship in Alexandria, MN - check it out here. Any member of the Shakopee Trap Club can attend. There is a $35 participation fee. It is an all day event. It is a blast and it is amazing how many people are there. You may want to reserve a hotel sooner than later once we know the date. We do not hold any room blocks. This Championship is the qualifying team competition for the State Tournament. The Minnesota State High School League’s State Tournament is at the Minneapolis Gun Club in Prior Lake. Rheanna will inform you if you qualify. In-person or virtual state tournaments format to be announced on April 12th The League prefers that all tournaments are conducted as in-person events at a pre-designated location as they have traditionally occurred. But if the League or health regulations eliminate or constrain in-person mass gatherings due to COVID-19 regulations then the League will conduct a “virtual” tournament. The virtual tournament allows all League teams to participate in an inclusive season-ending 100-target event for their particular sport (trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand) that invites all League teams and student athletes to compete in season-average classifications at the convenience of the team’s shooting range while greatly reducing travel expenses. The League requires a non-refundable $25 per athlete per tournament registration fee. The registration fee includes an official tournament t-shirt for each athlete and tournament banner for a team with five or more athletes. Our club is required to be responsible for any or all associated expenses (IE: targets and/or ammunition) conducting the tournament at The Horse ane Hunt Club. Shakopee Trap Club will complete the tournament event during 10-day time period in mid-June. That date is June 21st, 2021. Scores and rankings will be published on the League’s website shortly after the completion of the event. Awards will be shipped directly to us for any individual and team honors. Visit the League’s website to view the latest on tournament dates, status, rules, and information after the tournament announcement has been made.

How do I letter in trap?

Shakopee Trap Club Lettering Criteria as recognized by the Shakopee High School.
All of the following must be met:
1. No incident with drugs, alcohol or tobacco
2. Full time student with no failing grades
3. Maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher
4. Make progress towards graduation
One of the following needs to be met:
A) A Senior who has participated in all grades 9-12 (4 consecutive years) despite classification status.
B) Any athlete who shoots 25/50 straight in Conference Weeks 1 - 5 (not Practice Weeks, Reserve Week, or Fun Week) or Varsity Championship in Alexandria, MN.
C) Any athlete who has a season average of 20 or higher as determined by True Team Scoring System.

How do I get more information about the trap club?

If you can not find your answer under the FAQ, Please send an email to shakopeetrapclub@gmail.com with further questions.

Can I switch between my 12 gauge firearm and my 20 gauge firearm during the season?

No. When you register, you will select the gauge you will be using for the entire season. So make sure you check this before hand. **If you choose to switch gauges, you will provide your own ammo for the season that will be inspected by one of the coaches on the range, and you do not recieve your ammo for the gauge you previously registered with. If you miss a day of shooting you do not recieve the ammo for the days you missed.

What is the proper footwear for trap?

You must wear closed-toe footwear only. NO SANDALS ARE ALLOWED!!